Keeping food miles to a minimum is an important contribution we can make to our bodies, our community and our planet. Because of this, LCO+ has a "local first" sourcing policy. We take pride in providing our customers with the freshest food possible--sometimes picked the day of delivery. In addition to our extraordinary line of organic produce we also offer other quality products that you use everyday. Some reasons to consider when choosing our service:
- Food tastes better and can be picked at its peak of ripeness.
- Food nutrition is greater the sooner it is eaten.
- Local food supports our local community. Food dollars stay in our region and circulate.
- Local food builds community. Getting to know the producer of your food was a time-valued tradition that is regaining popularity.
- Local food benefits the environment. Smaller, local farms are less likely to mono-crop, which leads to an out-of-balance environment. Organic practices are more likely to foster wildlife habitat and less likely to damage our ecosystem.
- Less miles from farm to fork reduces the C02 emissions, emissions that contribute to global warming.
- Reduces the cost of transport resulting in lower prices and more of that price can go to the producer.
- Supports genetic diversity. Small farms are more concerned about flavor and can foster small scale heirloom varieties that cannot withstand industrial agriculture's practices, including mono-cropping and selecting varieties that ship and pack well.